A modern, free music notation software
Compose is the free music notation software from the creators of Finale. This web-based tool that empowers you to quickly and easily capture your musical ideas with a robust notation engine and simple user interface. Take control of your composition with all of the features you’d expect, like point-and-click note editing, dynamics and articulations, and customizable expressions.
As part of the MakeMusic Cloud ecosystem, you will gain access to a full suite of music creation and practice tools.
Start using Compose
You will be directed to create a free MakeMusic Cloud account, which gives you instant access to Compose.
Compose gives creators a simple and easy tool to jot down musical ideas with a surprisingly powerful set of features. Music creators can import, edit, and share their music with a sleak interface and intuitive editing tools.
Compose’s notation feature include:
- Point-and-click note editing, dynamics, and articulations.
- Customizable expressions.
- A set of premade templates for a variety of instrument and ensemble types.
- Unlimited staves.
- The ability to edit and view individual parts separately.
- And much, much more.
Music is better when it’s shared, and Compose makes working with your fellow musicians easier than ever. With Compose, you can:
- Share your music files directly with other MakeMusic Cloud users.
- Import/export MusicXML files to continue your work in another music notation software (like Finale).
- Open files in the Practice app for instant accompaniment and assessment features.
With Compose, you have access to a variety of support features, meaning you never have to go it alone.
- A modern music notation software with continuous improvements being added.
- Web-based, meaning it can be accessed from both Windows and Mac devices directly in your browser.
- Supported by MakeMusic’s world-class support team, who are standing by ready to assist with any questions about the software.
A free music notation software for Windows
With Finale Notepad, you can create orchestrations of up to eight staves. You can add notes by clicking them into the staff or importing MIDI or MusicXML files. Once your music is in NotePad, you can hear it play back, see it on the printed page, and share it with other NotePad users and users of other Finale family music notation software.